Sunday, August 06, 2006

Folklorama Begins



The next two weeks will be whirlwind of bliss for the low-budget world traveler as Folklorama returns for its 36th year. The Kick-off Opening Ceremonies featured an introduction for both the 1st and 2nd week Pavilion Ambassadors and the usual gang of long-winded dignitaries such as Mayor Sam Katz and Folk Arts President Martin Pasieczka. Tonight as well as the Ambassador Inaugural ceremony back in July, Pasieczka has increasingly annoyed me with his self-congratulatory, phoney enthusiasm pep rally rah rah rah...can we say future politician. Despite the sporadic down-pours through out the day, the large crowd at the Forks were rewarded with a clear, hot sunny Winnipeg summer evening, they couldn't ask for anything better.

Without volunteers Folklorama Pavilions would have a hard time surviving, I'll be one of those volunteers this coming week at the Japan Pavilion from 5:30 to 11:00pm every night along with my 9-5 job. Every year it's something I never look forward to, but I do it and I suppose when the week is over it feels pretty rewarding. This year I've had the pleasure of working with someone that is enjoyable and fun to be around. Sumi and I have faced some mini-crisises and dramas along with the usual scheduling conflicts, but we seem to be pulling it together just fine.

This week, I'll give a snapshot into the exciting world of a Folklorama Pavilion, behind the scenes and a brief review of the daily show. I'm guaranteed to be sleep deprived this week, so be prepared for some honest and maybe inappropriate rants as I fight to stay sane. I'll be staying up late writing, so this will definitely will be a site for red eyes, stay tuned.

No comments: